Artist: Yoshitomo Nara

A few years ago I had the privilege to travel with Loreen and Keiran to Japan. I had been awarded a travel scholarship through my Masters of Architecture program at Dalhousie for a proposal I wrote to study Pet Architecture, a phenomenon that has been popping up all over Tokyo. Very cool stuff, perhaps I'll talk more on that another time. While there, we had an amazing time, and made promises to return again one day. The trip was awesome, as I was not only able to get lots of studying done on my subject matter, but we were able to do a fair bit of touring around. We hit up Tokyo, Atami, Osaka, Hiroshima, Miajima, Nara, Kyoto, and then back to Tokyo. Perhaps a bit of a whirlwind, but utterly amazing...



Over the course of our adventures, I found a little book, and fell in love... It introduced me to Yoshitomo Nara's work and style, and I've been a big fan ever since.



I've always had a great love for the Artists Studio, not any particular artist, the Artist Studio in general fascinates me. It always seems to have the artists mind and passion embedded within. Yoshitomo's studio is no exception. It's busy and colourful with sketches, paintings, and a busy assortment of tools and paints all over. Yet somehow it seems to be organized, though perhaps in a way that only he could decipher.


© Guss Powell - Yoshitomo Nara's Temporary Studio


Yoshitomo Nara Studio

Of his works, there are 5 that absolutely stand out in my mind. They capture a childhood innocence, but it is somehow combined with a slightly darker undertone, as if the characters understand a little too much about the real world, and sometime they even seem on the verge of a rebellion. Everyone has their favorites, here are mine, I hope you enjoy...